I can’t remember a time when I haven’t been obsessed with owning the perfect pair of dungarees. And looking back it appears I once did:
‘Those were the days my friend … we thought they’d never end’. But like everything in life, unfortunately they did. The high street has little to offer me when it comes to the dungarees of my dreams. Whilst I managed to rock this aesthetic as a child, I have grown into a very bottom heavy adult and it’s an area of my body I have no wish to draw attention to. So once I’d reached a certain level of sewing competency, my mission was to track down a dungaree skirt pattern of this ilk:
It’s been a long and fruitless search and I was starting to feel disheartened until I had a lightbulb moment – the building blocks were available if I only had the confidence to dabble in a pattern mash up.
I could have saved myself a LOT of trouble by knocking up a Kwik Sew dungaree dress but the gathered skirt would do nothing for my frame – I’m A-line to the core. Contemplating melding the two patterns put me in a state of temporary meltdown. So far I’ve channelled my creativity into fabric choice and stayed true to instructions within the pattern envelope. My brain slows to a halt when faced with problem solving of a mathematical and spatial nature. Until I have a procedure nailed, I follow the guidelines with painstaking accuracy – after which they are pretty much hard wired and I can repeat with comparative ease.
Once I figured out that I could split Madeleine’s waistband into two – adding 3 cm seam allowance to the width – and sandwich the bib between as per the Kwik Sew instructions, progress was swift. I was no stranger to the skirt pattern having cut my sewing teeth on Madeleine a year ago. The Kwik Sew bib is simple to construct and the only deviation I made was to substitute bib and brace clips for buttons, which significantly eased the pressure off getting those strap measurements on point.
My fabric of choice first came on my radar when it was featured in Issue 22 of Love Sewing Magazine. Being at the top end of my budget, I entered the giveaway and kept my fingers crossed. My ship didn’t come in on that occasion and 6 months later, I decided a project so dear to my heart was deserving of high quality threads. I bit the bullet and invested in 3 metres of textured denim from Art Gallery Fabrics in Scarlet Brick. Having shelled out more than the usual, I’ve taken my time and I’m so pleased that a bit of patience and perseverance have rewarded me with my dream dungaree dress.